Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sean's Story


by ANDREA KING
SEAN FIELD is a popular guy – one who seems to be at the top of his game.
You are familiar with his face and voice, even if you don't know him personally.
His face is seen on the runway, in theatre, and this year he will be representing Barbados on Tempo for its Crop-Over 2K6 coverage.
In spite of all this limelight, Sean, who owns a successful graphic design company, is very aware that it could vanish all too soon.
In his case, maybe in the blink of an eye.
About two months ago Sean started experiencing excruciating and even blinding headaches that sent him rushing to doctors.
"I started to go blind in one eye, and I went to a doctor who said I might have had a retinal detachment or something. I went to another doctor who said maybe the headaches were causing the slight blurriness in my eye – migraines could do that.
"One day I went to the gym to work out, and before I got ten minutes into my routine, I felt something exploding in my head. A doctor sent me to the hospital.
They took a look again at the eye because they thought it was the headaches which were just so bad. I've had migraines before, but I hadn't had one for three years. I didn't know what was wrong. They didn't know what was wrong.
"They thought it was retinal migraine which could have been caused by excessive trauma to my eye – which in my case was being kicked four times playing soccer throughout the years," he said.
This caused a blood clot to form at the back of his eye and that's what caused the retinal migraine and contributed to the blurriness, he said.
The blood clot in the brain can lead to an aneurism and if you have it, that's it – you can just collapse.
Sean has now to live with the fact that the blood clot is inoperable.
"There is no surgical procedure they can do for it. They tried to maintain it with medication – extremely expensive medication – which did not work."
He turned to things that are natural, water and eating the right foods. These things combined, he said, energise him and keep him healthy.
"I'd been to the doctors, I'd gotten a CAT scan; but then I decided to try a natural remedy. I'd heard about Chantal Selman the iridologist. That became one of the most amazing things that happened to me. I learnt so much about myself, about my health; so many things I didn't know.
"Chantal changed my complete diet. She wiped out so many foods. Being a vegetarian I ate a lot of soy, and soy was gone, wheat products gone, flour gone. Citrus fruits gone, sweet fruit, bananas, corn. Basically it came down to eating green leafy vegetables, high in oxygen and good for the brain; and fish, not fried – steamed or grilled. From the minute I started to eat the way she told me to eat my headaches stopped," he said.
The change in eating habits, which included drinking 64 ounces of water a day, resulted in him feeling quite different.
"I'm trying to make a difference to my health now that I'm approaching 34, so that when I'm 50 I may not have to go through what my dad has gone through," he said. Sean's father Mike Field is now recovering from a heart attack he suffered recently.
"I'm trying to prolong the life I have been given by doing what is right from a healthy standpoint. My diet is specific to me and 'I live it, not die-it' as Chantal says. I absolutely love that phrase!
"There was a drastic improvement to my health that I'd never seen before. I'm more fit now than I've ever been in my life and I've lost the excess fat that I had. I'm very lean and I feel very good about it.
"The most important thing for me is to live a life that is pleasing to God, regardless of what you may have done in the past, and people wanting to persecute you for your past wrongs. If you learn to make a difference and make a change, and you faithfully follow that path, then you can really make a difference.
"I don't live in fear because I am a man of God. What it has made me do every day since is to say 'Thank you God for allowing me to see this day'. That is something I had never done before.
"From a spiritual standpoint, I recognise God is talking to me very clearly, telling me 'you have an opportunity here to do things for Me, for people. You can choose to listen to what you're supposed to do and follow this path, or you can choose not to'. And from choosing to, suddenly all these blessings have started coming one by one."
He added: "You have a much greater appreciation for the life you're living. You have a feeling that you don't have time to waste. This has made me recognise the things I really appreciate and what I really want out of this life."
Sean, now sporting a new look, said he also listened when he sheared his beautiful mane of locks.
"It was time," he said, smiling, as he pointed out that this was the one question everyone has been asking since he made the decision.
And what informed that time?
"God," he simply says. "God told me when to put them on. God told me when to take them off. I had always known from a child that I was going to wear locks. I think taking them off was such a surprise and a shock to everybody. There were a lot of people who didn't recognise me. My own son didn't recognize me."
Not surprising, since the boy would have seen his father with locks for all five years of his life.
"It took two years to cut them and I was going through the process for a long time," he said.
"But it's hair. The hair and the external do not make the man. It's the internal, and that's the most important thing," he said.
Sean cut his locks in June.
For this young man, the most important thing we need is self- examination.
" You get to see what you should be doing and how you should be living. And the best way to be a man of God is to be a living example."
Sean has made his decision: He chooses to listen and to live by example.

No comments:

How to use a Neti pot

New Patio

New Patio
New Patio

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil
Try our 1 gallon coconut oil

Wild Rice with chezy cauliflower

Wild Rice with chezy cauliflower
Lunch on Wednesday...Wild Rice

Leaf of Life

Leaf of Life
Leaf of Life is great for coughs

Chocolate Ginger Mosse cake

Chocolate Ginger Mosse cake
Have u tried our CHOCOLATE layer cake

Kombucha

Kombucha
Making Kombucha Tea with fresh cane juice

Paradise Pizza

Paradise Pizza
Best pizza ever

Golden Apple Chez cake

Golden Apple Chez cake
Golden apple Mango Chez cake